This is as simple as it gets for a classic coconut milk based curry. There are many better ways to prepare and execute a dish like this that would use fresher ingredients, require more time building flavor and more knowledge to craft a blend of “curry” spices. So here “Simple” really means quick and easy. Buy premade curry powder and the very few other ingredients and toss them in the saute pan. Serve over rice, couscous or nothing at all.
- 16 ounce firm tofu
- 1 sliced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 4 dates, sliced
- Pat tofu dry and dice into 0.5″ cubes. Sear on medium high with olive oil until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Slice yellow onion and add to the same skillet. Saute for a few minutes on medium high with olive oil until slightly translucent. Add garlic and continue cooking for a few minutes.
- Add coconut milk, diced tomatoes, curry powder and all other ingredients. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer.
- Add tofu to the curry mixture and continue simmering until sauce thickens sufficiently.