This recipe is simple as can be! The basic bake results in delicious ‘nuggets’ which are quite versatile, but the addition of the wing sauce makes them a sure to please party snack. I tend to use a good amount of nutritional yeast and salt in my bakes and, while this recipe represents what I believe to be ideal proportions of each, feel free to play around with them until you find the right amount for your tastes. The most important part is the baking temperature, time, and mid-bake rotation–this will give the nuggets a nice crispy outer layer while maintaining a juicy interior.
I recommend serving the wings with a side of ranch dressing, my personal favorite being Follow Your Heart Vegan Ranch.
- 13 ounce Old Capitol Firmest tofu
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Louisiana hot sauce
- flour or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat oven to 450°. Slice the tofu block into rectangular pieces, should make 8 – 10.
- Toss nutritional yeast, salt & pepper in a mixing bowl, turn to coat.
- Place on a baking sheet with olive oil in the middle of the oven and set a timer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes flip each piece and bake for 10 more minutes.
- In a small sauce pan heat up hot sauce.
- Once hot mix in spoonfuls of flour or cornstarch until the sauce is thick. Add spices to taste.
- Toss the baked strips in the sauce to coat. Enjoy.
The wing sauce itself is wildly simple, and was created on a whim! The spices included represent my particular tastes but can be modified however you see fit (I will occasionally even add cayenne and chipotle to really up the Scoville units!). The basic idea is to create a sauce thick enough to stick to the wingz, but still viscous enough to spread.Not as thick as ketchup, slightly thicker than bbq sauce. If you already have a favorite store bought, ready-made sauce then have at it!
–Max Radl is a local night owl, flavor experimenter and very tall guy. This is his first official recipe.